The signs can vary, but typical indicators of fraud and/or stolen identity include the following:
- You receive a call or letter stating that you have been approved or denied by a creditor. However, you have never applied to that creditor for an account.
- You receive credit card, utility, or telephone statements in your name and address—but you never applied for them.
- You no longer receive your credit card statements, or you notice that not all of your mail is delivered to you.
- Your credit card statement includes purchases you don't recognize.
- A collection agency tells you they are collecting for a defaulted account established with your identity, but you never opened the account.