Interviewing prospective banks
Once you've identified your needs, research the banks near you and compare what they offer. This will help you choose the right bank. You can visit the branch in person or visit their Web site. A few areas to consider:
- What is the minimum deposit to open an account?
- Does the bank offer any special student accounts?
- Does the bank offer a basic or no-frills account that costs less?
- Is there a monthly fee for having the account?
- What is the cost of 200 new checks?
- How much does it cost every month for online banking?
- Is there a minimum balance required to avoid penalty fees?
- Can you write as many checks as you want, or are you limited?
- Are there any interest-earning accounts?