Overview of Federal Grant Programs

Grants, unlike loans, are a form of financial aid for education that you don’t have to pay back—if you meet any obligations that may be attached to them. Click on the name of the following grants for more information:

The Federal Pell Grant Program

Federal Pell Grants are only available to undergraduate students (and certain postbaccalaureate students seeking a teaching certificate) with very high financial need. Unlike a loan, Federal Pell Grants do not have to be repaid. A Federal Pell Grant can be used at any participating school to cover an eligible course of study.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

FSEOGs are given exclusively to undergraduate students who have the greatest financial need. FSEOGs range from $100 to $4,000 per year. Like Federal Pell Grants, they do not have to be repaid. To qualify, you must complete the FAFSA. Do it early because funding for FSEOGs is allocated to participating schools to be distributed to their students—and it’s first-come, first-served.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grants

These grants provide awards of up to $4,000 per year to undergraduate, graduate, and certain postbaccalaureate students. Recipients must commit to teach in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. They also must adhere to certain academic achievement requirements. If you accept the grant but don’t successfully complete your academic program or follow through with the service requirement, the grant automatically turns into a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. To qualify, you must complete the FAFSA. Contact the financial aid office at your school to see if the program you plan to pursue participates in TEACH.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

These grants provide funds to age-eligible students whose parent or guardian has died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept. 11, 2001. These students may qualify either for a full Federal Pell Grant, or for this equal-amount grant.

Your school’s financial aid office can assist with any questions you have about federal grants and the application process.

Back to Topic